FIA FORMULA 1
Five times world champion
SOUTH AMERICAN AND INTERNATIONAL
Lancia D- 24 / 25 Sport
Production year: 1953
Number of copies: 4
Body type: Biposto spider
Chassis Type: Tubular structure formed by two tubular stringers of 2 mm thick and 90 mm in diameter in steel.
Wheelbase: 2.45 m
Trail: front 1.29 m and rear 1.25 m
Engine: V6 - 60º
Diameter x Stroke: 88 x 90 mm
Total Cilindrada: 3284 cc (3100 cc for the IV Pan-American Race of 1953)
Maximum power: 245-265 HP at 6200 RPM
Compression ratio: 9: 1
Camshafts: 4 at the head
Valve command: direct, with cymbals and adjustable discs.
Distribution command: by chain
Number of valves: 2 per cylinder at the head, forming V 80º
Power: Three carburetors Double body Weber 46 DC F with an electric pump.
On: a magnet with double spark plug per cylinder.
Electrical system: 12V
Lubrication: Forced with the radiator - Oil filter on the main circuit.
Refrigeration: by water, with forced circulation and radiator
Transmission: front engine - drive shaft - rear wheel drive
Weight: 740 Kg
Maximum speed: 265 Km / h
Clutch: dry, dry bidisco
Case: 4 gears and recoil - lateral lever - Body shape with differential
Gear ratio: First 2,59: 1- Second 1,259: 1- Third 1,033: 1 - Fourth 0.849: 1
Rear axle: With self-locking differential and floating bearings - attached to the chassis -
Front suspension: independent, longitudinal arm, transverse elastic
Rear suspension: De Dion, oscillating axle shaft, arms and longitudinal supports - elastic double half longitudinal cantilever type
Shock absorbers: hydraulic telescopic front and rear.
Brake: drum, with hydraulic control on all four wheels - aluminum internal brake hoods with fins and openings for 360 mm cooling. diameter -
Address: to the center, worm screw and sector
Tires and Tires: Duraluminium spokes and rim - Front 6.00x16 and Rear 6.50x16
Fuel tanks: rear tank 110 lts. and lateral.- 50 lts
Lubricant Tank: side tank on the right under the rear mudguard.
Cooling system: water
Pan American Race of Mexico 1953 - (Fangio) Nro. 36 - Winner
12 Hours of Sebring 1954 (with Castellotti / Fangio) - No. 36 - Abandoned
RAC Tourist Trophy Circuit of Ards - Belfast - Ireland 1954 (with Taruffi / Piodi / Fangio) No. 3 - Second (Castellotti / Fangio started the race with a Lancia D25 - No. 2 - changed machine for engine break)
The Panamericana met in a very special agreement to Juan Manuel Fangio and Gianni Lancia.
Although Fangio was running Sport races for Maserati, as this one would not show up for the Mexico race, he gave him the freedom to race for Lancia in the final round of the First World Championship.
Lancia had a great investment to win that race. Fangio commented "... the race followed a Douglas DC-3 plane, three trucks, a truck-workshop, several reconnaissance cars and a large crew of mechanics, with a profuse amount of spare parts and covers. Reduced from 3300 cc to 3099 cc, the power had been lowered, looking for more durability to withstand more than 3000 km at full throttle, the engine had a lot of torque and was very agile - it would go up and down. It was nice to use it, it was small, synchronized with the one that could be walked in 2nd or 3rd all the time without anything happening .. ".
The history of the Lancia sports car -D models- began in 1952, with the first project of a Berlinetta that was called "D20" with the 2.5-liter engine and then 3 liters, which with great technical effort was ready for May 1953, for the Miglie Mile.
To improve its competitiveness, the "D20" was converted into a spider under the name "D23" with a new chassis.
In September 1953, the D24 appeared on the 1000 Kilometers of the Nürburgring with a new 3.3-liter engine, while at the end of the year, the D25 project began with the aim of competing in the Sports World Championship. of 1954.
The technical team was made up of Ettore Zaccone Mina - responsible for the engine, Francesco Faleo - chassis, Luigi Bossco - transmission, Dante Mattei ex Alfa Romeo was responsible for the set-up of the engine. All reported to a talented designer coming from Fiat and Alfa: Vittorio Jano. Under his supervision the group of a project of the series "D" with absolutely original characteristics.
The first version of the "D20" Berlinetta of three liters has its continuity in the production of the Gran Turismo with the "Aurelia B20". The chassis was tubular - in tubes of a little diameter of aeronautical use - integrated with the structure of the passenger compartment that formed a unique rigid body. The tubular structure was an innovation for that time, as was its integration with the passenger compartment.
In July 1952, when the project progressed, the front suspension was Aurelia type with transverse axle and telescopic elements of integral suspension, steering and shock absorbers, integral with the axle.
The subsequent solution was to achieve a more efficient and lighter suspension, characterized by a lower swing arm, a transverse upper elastic and a link. This suspension contained a solution, regrouped the braking mass to the center, made it solid with the chassis, thus reducing the unsprung mass and increasing the diameter of the bells that were not on the wheels, which were now 380 mm in diameter and 70 mm Wide. Such a novel solution was completed with two semiaxes from the bolt of the wheel to the bells, provided with constant velocity joints.
The rear suspension retained a system similar to the "Aurelia", with oblique triangle integrated to the transverse elastic and double hydraulic shock absorber, with a system adjustable to the pilot's decision, by means of a system of tie and chain by which the "D20" passed to the history.
Always following the idea of bringing the masses to the center and increasing the braking power, was equipped with a box system, which then underwent changes of number of gears, differential -then self-locking- and brakes of 320 mm (later to disk) in a single block, which were derivatives of the "Aurelia". Regarding cardanic themes, the internal "Aurelia" was used and the external one with an evolution of the cardan joint coming from the "Aprilia" although resized. This last solution was used in the 1954 F1, the "D50".
The engine was part of the architecture of the V6 of 90 ° and Ettore Zaccone Mina arrived at the final solution from a prototype called "B110" of 2.5 liters with double overhead camshaft, an original valve regulation system, a valve angle of 70º, chain distribution command with mechanical tensioner, lubrication to wet crankcase with external radiator. The feeding was based on three double body carburetors, with mechanical pump and another electric fuel pump to guarantee the feeding.
The "D20" in handling, braking, and stability, is not up to the 215 HP and the top speed he had. This was corrected with the appearance of "D23", while the most famous of the series, "D24", was being made. The "D23" with changes in the chassis integrated into the cabin of its predecessor, retained all its other mechanical solutions. A little lighter and a little more stable, mainly for coming equipped with a De Dion bridge, had a short life, before the appearance of the "D24" at the Nürburgring. Anyway, it was used in some races and as a mullet.
THE TECHNICAL ADVENTURE OF "D24 - CARRERA"
The most outstanding evolution that had the "D24" was the relative to its chassis, the engine and the position of several of its components.
The engine of 3284 cc - 88 x 90 mm - with variable power of 245 to 6200 RPM to 265 CV to 6500 RPM, was transformed after its participation in Nürburgring, to dry carter. They reduced the wheelbase from 2600 mm to 2400 mm, adopting the De Dion bridge that passed over the gearbox, double cantilever elastic and upper parallel rods. An oil tank was under the right rear fender. A fuel tank centered on the rear of 110 liters was supplemented by another 50 liters for the cases of long-distance competitions. Traction improved with the addition of a self-locking differential to disc, type ZF.
It turned out to be a unit of good holding, maneuverability, and braking, was prepared for the IV Pan American Race of Mexico - 1953 won by Juan Manuel Fangio, in its engine version of 3100 cc - 80 x 85 mm - to give greater reliability to a tan long competition
Gianni Lancia kept for his own museum a "D23", a "D24" a "D25" last version and gave the Argentine President Juan Perón a "D24". All the other elements coming from the Lancia factory, after its closure, and with the sole exception of some engine, were destroyed by order of the General Direction at the end of the sports activity of the House. Regarding the "D23", it was ceded from the Lancia Museum to a private one. Regarding the "D24", he went to the Automobile Museum of Torino, staying in the Lancia Museum the "D25". The unit donated to Perón then participated in several competitions and returned to Italy for its total restoration.
Sudamericana y Mundial
LANCIA D-24 / 25 SPORT
- Regional, National and South American
- Ford "A" 1929 - Bianculli
- Ford "A" 1930 - Ialea
- Buick 8 en línea 1936 (de Rezusta)
- Ford "T" (de F. Nardi)
- Ford "T" (de F. Nardi)
- Ford V8 ´34 - Motor ´37
- Chevrolet Cupé 39
- Chevrolet Cupé 40
- Chevrolet cupé 39 - Motor 46
- Ford T / Chevrolet - "La Negritas"
- Volpi - Chevrolet "La Petiza" - 1947
- SOUTH AMERICAN AND INTERNATIONAL
- Dayton Steel Foundry
- Kurtis Offenhauser
- Novi Kurtis 500G
- Maserati 250 V12
- Maserati 4CL
- Simca Gordini 1430
- Simca Gordini Type 16
- Simca Gordini Type 20
- Simca Gordini 20S - Berlinette
- Maserati A6 GCS Monofaro
- Maserati 4 CLT48 1500/2000
- Ferrari 166 F2 - 1948
- Alfa Romeo 158 "Alfetta"
- Alfa Romeo 6C 2500
- Talbot Lago T26C
- Talbot Lago T26 GS
- Mercedes-Benz W 154/163
- Alfa Romeo 159
- Alfa Romeo 1900 GT
- Cooper Bristol 2000
- Maserati 2000
- B.R.M. Mark I/II - V 16
- Maserati A6 GCS Sport 2000/2500
- Alfa Romeo 6C 3000
- Maserati A6 SSG / GCM
- Lancia D- 24 / 25 Sport
- Maserati 250 F - 1957
- Maserati 300 Sport
- Mercedes-Benz W 196 R (carenado)
- Mercedes-Benz W 196 2500/3000
- Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR
- Ferrari 500 Sport
- Ferrari 290 MM
- Ferrari Monza 860
- Lancia Ferrari D-50
- Maserati 450 S
- Dean Van Lines Special
10 A 17 HS
from Monday to Friday
10 A 18 HS
Weekends and holidays
10 A 19 HS
January and February
museo juan manuel fangio
Dardo Rocha (18) esq. Mitre (17)
Tel/fax +54-2266-425540 - CP 7620
Balcarce - Buenos Aires - Argentina
- $ 200
- $ 200
- $ 250
- $ 100